Ashland Daily Photo
Ashland Daily Photo - A picture a day from beautiful Ashland, Southern Oregon USA in the Rogue Valley
             The above will search this blog.

 

Posts tagged Raider Athletics

Men’s wrestling tomorrow night in Ashland

sou wrestling jacky hawkins matt peterson

Jacky Hawkins and Matt Peterson

@JackyHawkins10 @SOURaiders @SOUWrestling

Wrestling doubleheader on Thursday evening. Opponents are Corban at 5 and Simpson at 7.

Players of the Week

Can you dig it?

@SOURaiders @RaiderVB @hannahbogatin @EmmaRyan_4 @tristvedt_10

Details here.

sou volleyball taylor ristvedt

Taylor Ristvedt

sou volleyball hannah bogatin

Hannah Bogatin

SOU women’s soccer earn first trip to nationals

 sou womens soccer mia volpatti

Mia Volpatti

@mia_volpatti @SOURaiders #NAIAWSoccer

Although the coaches don’t have the Raiders ranked, and, in fact, they don’t even give them a single vote, Massey Ratings has the Southern Oregon women’s soccer team at #15. The Raiders will be playing Campbellsville (Kentucky) with the winner going against the #1 seed. Massey gives the Raiders a 70% chance of victory in the opening round and then a 30% chance against #1 William Carey (Massey’s #3). According to Massey, SOU had the #1 strength of schedule and the #2 defense. Massey has William Carey’s defense at #1.

Frontier Conference snubbed by NAIA again

sou football connor maloney

@maloneyconnor95 @SOURaiders @SOU_Football #NAIAFootball @FConference #PlayNAIA @NAIA #MasseyRatings #collegefootball

Only 16 teams make the NAIA football postseason. Sadly, it’s not the best 16 teams. Instead it’s the conference winners and the coaches’ favorites. The coaches decide the rankings, and not all of the coaches get a vote. Instead the deck is stacked against stronger conferences and in favor of those with weaker teams. Schedule strength does not seem to be looked at in any way, shape, or form.

A couple of examples:
– Rocky Mountain beat Dickinson State on the road. Dickinson State is going to the playoffs after winning the North Star Conference. Rocky Mountain went 3-7 in the Frontier Conference. Massey Ratings considers strength of schedule, unlike the coaches, and has Rocky at #22 in the NAIA and Dickinson State at #27.
– Montana State University – Northern beat Arizona Christian University on the road. MSU-Northern went 0-10 in the Frontier Conference. Massey Ratings has MSU-Northern at #48 and ACU at #61. ACU came in third place in their 9-team conference after going 6-2 in conference play.

For the third year in a row, the strongest football conference in the NAIA, the Frontier Conference, gets only one team in the playoffs.

Other teams, not in Massey’s top 16, that “earned” a playoff birth include:
Kansas Wesleyan–#21 on Massey gets home games in the first two rounds!
Saint Xavier–#20 on Massey
Reinhardt–#19 on Massey
Baker–#18 on Massey
Ottawa–#30 on Massey
Northwestern–#17 on Massey

Raiders win conference tournament

sou volleyball makayla hoyt

@SOURaiders @RaiderVB #NAIAWVB @HoytMakayla

After splitting the regular season title with Eastern Oregon, Southern Oregon beat EOU in straight sets last night to claim the conference tournament crown for the second year in a row. As one of the top teams, they will skip the opening round and head to Iowa in early December for the 40th Annual NAIA Volleyball National Championship.

Massey Ratings has the Raiders at #5, and the coaches will likely have them at #5 as well when the new poll comes out tomorrow.

Semifinals in Ashland tonight

sou volleyball elliott cook

Elliott Cook

@SOURaiders @RaiderVB @elli_cook

Details here.

2019 SOU Volleyball Senior Night (part 2)

sou volleyball senior night

2019 Southern Oregon University volleyball senior night

@SOURaiders @RaiderVB @hannahbogatin @nillawafer_8 @EmmaRyan_4 @tristvedt_10

sou volleyball emma ryan

Emma Ryan crowd

sou volleyball taylor ristvedt

Taylor Ristvedt clan

Part 1

Player of the Week

sou volleyball taylor ristvedt

Taylor Ristvedt

@SOURaiders @RaiderVB @tristvedt_10

Details here.

2019 SOU Volleyball Senior Night (part 1)

sou volleyball sara fanger

Sara Fanger and co.

@SOURaiders @RaiderVB @hannahbogatin @nillawafer_8

sou volleyball hannah bogatin

Hannah Bogatin gang

sou volleyball nila lukens

Nila Lukens crew

Happy birthday to The Grouch!

curt bacon

@SOUAshland @SOURaiders @OscarTheGrouch @sesamestreet

Seasame Street’s The Grouch turns 50 years old today.

Not many people know this, but SOU’s Curt Bacon has been known to play The Grouch in various settings, including at Raider basketball games.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin